Founded in 1848 by John and William Lowry we have been providing development and construction services to the North East of England for over 170 years. Our core values and commitment to our community have allowed us to continue doing what we love, where we love over the years.
1848 - John and William Lowry founded the company in the Village of Cargo.
1860 - J. & W. Lowry goes through rapid expansion as a consequence of Richard Grainger’s financial problems and undertake much of the work in Grainger street, Newcastle upon Tyne.
1862 - J. & W. Lowry enters into a joint venture with Sir Walter Scott and as a joint endeavour undertook the construction of Central Station Portico in Newcastle upon Tyne.
1867 - J. & W. Lowry construct the new Tyne Theatre and many other notable buildings including works at Lambton Castle and Chillingham Castles for the Earl of Durham.
Early 1900's - The company expands, and Penshaw Freestone and Firestone Quarry begin.
1945 - With onset of World War Two the firm became involved in the construction of Pill Boxes and anti tank barriers on the North East Coast.
1980 - Renovation on Blackfriars completes and is opened by H.M. Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother.
1989 - Stephen Foster BSc LLB MRICS becomes Managing Director completing the purchase of the company in 1995.
2013 - J. & W. Lowry undertake JV with Roseville Asset Management Limited to deliver Two turnkey elderly residential care home projects in Leeds. Project Managing the works, acquiring full planning permission and successfully constructing the projects.
2019 - J. & W. Lowry are begin work on their first Specialised Supported Living project Bedlington, Northumberland.